Organisation: England Netball
Category: Sport Organisation of the Year in Association with AXA XL
Tell us about yourselves...
In a time where women’s participation remains below that of men, our national governing body has bucked the trend with increased participation, continued membership growth and in turn grown our reach, fan base and commercial worth.
We have developed an elite team that can compete on the international stage and continue to inspire many to get back into netball. The Vitality Roses’ winning moment at the Commonwealth Games last year gripped the nation, changed perceptions of netball and continued to grow participation.
We have 10 unique participation programmes, which are specifically tailored to meet the needs of all – meaning you can play your game your way!
We have a strong track record of increasing membership year on year and bringing new participants to the sport.
We have taken significant strides towards becoming a commercially sustainable sports business, and have united with key partners such as Vitality, Red Bull and Nike.
Why do you think you made the shortlist?
Over the last few years we have seen massive success across the business. These three key areas of success are outlined below.
- Elite level England players operating as full time athletes and realising their gold medal potential
- Record increases in membership
- Plus record ticket revenue and international game attendance at levels never seen before by a women’s team sport
This impressive growth means we can continue to deliver a financially sustainable organisation.
What made this year fun?
We have been able to celebrate some major milestones and see this wonderful sport gain the recognition and growth in it deserves over the last 12 months.
Our unprecedented success in 2018 includes:
- The Vitality Roses’ first ever Commonwealth Games gold medal
- The Vitality Roses moving to second in the International Netball Federations World Rankings – their highest position to date
- Gaining 103,209 members, 40,623 programme participants (22,241 new to netball), plus signing up our 100,000th Back to Netballer
- Increasing sponsor investment
It has been interesting as an organisation to see the positive impact netball is having on the country and to see more people engaging with this sport.
Who was your MVP?
It’s not possible to pick just three individuals with all the successes netball has achieved over the last year. The success has been due to:
- The Vitality Roses – winning gold at the Commonwealth Games has brought netball to the attention of the masses and inspired so many people to get involved with the sport
- The England Netball staff – the staff at England Netball have worked tirelessly to support the Roses to achieve their potential and to capitalise on the increased profile of the sport to drive significant participation growth
- The netball fans and volunteers – as with all sports none of it would be possible without a network of dedicated volunteers and the Netball Family are the best out there!
How do you plan to celebrate?
We plan to share the excitement of this prestigious award both internally, with England Netball staff and externally with our large database of fans and members. We want everyone to feel involved in this achievement and will promote the news across all our channels and platforms and make as big a splash as possible with it. It’s such an exciting time for England Netball as we are currently gearing up to the Vitality Netball World Cup, which takes place in Liverpool this July. This award will play a huge part in building excitement even further to this momentous occasion!
Our partners have been instrumental in supporting England Netball to achieve our goals across both a grassroots and elite level, those partners include:
- Sport England
- The British Army
- Red Bull
- Sky Sports
- LRG Fitness
- The Women’s Institute
- Harrod Sport
- Sport Experiences
- Cancer Research UK
Under the strong leadership of Joanna Adams, England Netball’s Chief Executive, we secured the rights to host the Vitality Netball World Cup 2019 in Liverpool and have seen a record growth in our participation programmes, sponsorship deals and ticket revenue. England Netball has also since introduced a full time performance programme which was pivotal in the Vitality Roses’ historic win at the Commonwealth Games in 2018, which has since inspired thousands of women to take up the sport. Under Joanna’s guidance, netball has proudly become the fastest growing female sport in the country.
The BT Sport Industry Awards are the largest commercial sport awards in the world and an unrivalled showcase for the best of the sector’s output. This year’s Awards will see the industry come together for its night of the year on Thursday, 25th April at Battersea Evolution. Follow us on Twitter to experience the first ever #BTSIA Red Carpet Live!