Henley Royal Regatta have agreed a two-year extension to the rowing showpiece’s broadcast deal with BT Sport.
The agreement will see live and exclusive television coverage of the Friday, Saturday and Sunday of the Regatta continue in the UK for 2019 and 2020, to complement the ongoing live streaming of the event around the world on YouTube.
Henley said the agreement, which extends the partnership to a total of five years, highlights the success of the live broadcast strategy adopted by the Regatta in 2015. It will see BT Sport showing around eight hours of live coverage per day over the last three days of the event.
Since 2015 Henley has broadcast the Regatta live, with every race of the event has also shown on YouTube. In that time YouTube users are said to have watched over 50 million minutes of coverage online.
Under the new deal, Sunset+Vine will continue as production partner to the Regatta and to BT Sport. The sports production and media company has been the Regatta’s production partner since the first YouTube broadcast in 2015.
Steve Redgrave, Chairman of the Regatta’s Committee of Management, said: “The first five years of our broadcast project has been a game changer for the Regatta and for rowing. We have already broadcast more than twelve hundred races with every single one live on YouTube and available on-demand post-event.”
Andrew Preece, Executive Director of Sunset+Vine, added: “Henley Royal Regatta has been a passion project for Sunset+Vine ever since we first set foot on the snow-clad banks of the River Thames five years ago to begin developing the camera plan.
“Since then the production has grown in scale and complexity to become an annual international broadcast must, as well as being a major event for the global rowing community on YouTube.”
This year’s event commenced on Wednesday and is due to conclude on Sunday.